Monday, August 29, 2005

Sometimes ya make yerself a liar...

...but sometimes it can't be helped. I said I'd be away ten days, but then I came across this in the Houston Chronicle as I was scanning news about Katrina.

I'll let Alpha take it from here, but if he insists on doing this any more often than he does, I'm gonna insist he get his own damned blog....


Buried behind the third bullet in the article about the 700 laws the legislature DID manage to pass this session-cubed is this about teachers:

•The retirement eligibility age will be raised from 50 to 60 for teachers and other school employees hired after Sept. 1, 2007, to help cure a shortfall in the Teacher Retirement System. The new law also makes changes affecting some current teachers. For all but the more-senior teachers, pensions will be based on the average of the highest five years' salary, rather than three.


I'm trying honestly not to get too upset. After all, my teacher retirement is from a different red state entirely than Texas, I'm sitting (for the last night) on a lake in Minnesota listening to the acorns bounce off the roof of the camper, sipping vodka hand-crafted in Austin from a glass rinsed with vermouth hand-crafted in Italy. I'm retired. My benefits are (relatively) secure.

But I read that aggregation of new laws in the Chron, and I can't bring myself to laugh. I try. Honest I do. I should be able to laugh at follies that won't impact my lifesyle.

The same legislature that went back to the trough three times and couldn't resolve school funding somehow managed, in the name of fiscal responsibility, to (a) force burned-out teachers to work ten more years, and (b) reduce their retirement income.

I'm going to sleep on this one, hoping to somehow see the humor under the sun of a new day. I'm not optimistic. But if I keep writing, Amerloc's gonna make me get my own space...


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

1 Comments:

Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am furious about this. I am from a state very near yours. My dear friends who teach there still and are older than me are still slogging through it at the age of 58 and 62, respectively-- and I makemore than $10 G more than them-- and one of them was my teacher in junior high.

When are the people in this country going to realize they're being boondoggled? Erode the public confidence in the schools, cause people with any sort of resources to flee,and never take into account the burdens that teachers face.

At least we're not the only ones questioning this situation. If you have not already, please read the book Teachers Have It Easy, by Dave Eggers, at al.-- and then you'll really be pissed!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home