Monday, October 16, 2006

Artesian bread

After the rain this morning, and after Alpha got done working on today's phase of the Great Bathroom Remodel of 2006, he and Beta and I went for a quick run to the butcher shop for some necessaries, then to the Farmer's Market and bought some beets. The summer squash were smallish (can you pickle them when they're little like that?), so we didn't get any. We passed on the other stuff as well, and headed to the grocery store (I've given HEB enough links. If their traffic from my readers isn't overloading their servers by now, it's not my fault. Well, maybe it is, but that's a different story altogether).

HEB is a friendly sort of store to shop. Three or four different spots there in the store, kind of scattered around, they have folks cookin' up or cuttin' up samples to toss to us as we go by. I suppose it's designed to get customers to deviate from their lists, but that's just a battle of willpower. Can't blame the store for trying. Plus, it makes the place smell better.

We'd grabbed our greens (no spinach, dammit) and our butter and cheese, and were headed for the beerandwine aisle (can't go to Lenny's every night), when a nice lady offered us a sample of "artesian bread". It was tasty. But I couldn't help feeling that it was more probably "artisan" bread than "artesian." Of course, it's technically more grammatically correct to refer to it as "artisanal bread," but who am I to split hairs?

I would like to see a picture of genuine artesian bread, though. I just wonder if it comes out of the ground in loaves or in slices...


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

5 Comments:

Blogger Truck Driver Wife said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your comment. Certainly is a change of pace for us. Will stop by again and say hi sometime. :)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Artesian" bread? Sounds like it's made of porcelain or something.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Had to get down near the bottom before my my first thought was confirmed. Artisan

But then you had to go and get all uppity, correctly so, with artisanal. heh heh

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember HEB from the Southwest.It'salways cool if you can findan old "Momand Pop" grocery! I have U linked!

6:51 PM  
Blogger ms. whatsit said...

For some reason, bread seems less "artesianal" when it is sliced.

I imagine Alpha and Beta enjoying a rich merlot, crusty baguette and unsalted butter. Cicadas are serenading them as the sun sets. Amerloc rests by their feet, hoping for someone to toss him a bite. Very nice indeed!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home