Sunday, December 11, 2005

Former Sen. Eugene McCarthy dies

Bummer. Wasn't what I came here for at all. Was gonna blog about the surfeit of wireless devices that Alpha has accumulated, and how they're interfering with each other (how else to explain the fact that the OUTDOOR ceiling fan comes on for no apparent reason???) It's obviously related to the wireless phone, the wireless internet, the wireless remote controls for the TV, the DirecTV, and the surround sound, and the other (thermostatically in-tune) ceiling fans. It's overkill. But he doesn't forget to feed me. He's OK, but it's still a nuisance.

So here I am confronting the mortality of my youth (when I was immortal) and remembering how Eugene McCarthy all but forced LBJ to cede the presidency to someone else - whoever it might be. Which is kind of ironic, given that EM was a MN boy, as I was born, and LBJ was a TX product, and I live there now, and I'm not sure any of us ever totally shakes free of our partisan roots, once we get old enough to feel their sustenance.

Godspeed, Eugene. You fired my youth, and your passing rekindles, however briefly, the flames.


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home