Sunday, December 11, 2005

I mean seriously...

are these people conscious? Did they pay any attention at all in high school? Bill Frist is ready to block a filibuster on Alito (should it come to that)

I realize it's a legitimate maneuver, especially if we regard politics as a game best played with the refrigerator nearing empty, but consider the inevitable: THINGS WILL CHANGE!

I'm not saying that the Dems will ever quit shooting themselves in the foot. What I suggest is that at some point in time the Reps will get so totally full of themselves, get so totally arrogant, that they will shoot themselves in the foot as well, and SOMEONE ELSE WILL WIN.

Do you really want to eliminate the filibuster long-term, for a short-term gain? Think, Bill. Think.


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

3 Comments:

Blogger Amerloc said...

I take it back. Just because it's a legal maneuver doesn't make it legitimate.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

When Ginsburg, a former ACLU attorney, can get over 95 confirmation votes, the Republicans are 'playing fair'. Alito doesn't approve of abortion and hence he's not fit to sit on the Supreme Court.

I'm not buying it. It's the Democrats who are acting arrogant here, not the Republicans.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Amerloc said...

Here's what had me consternated, Darren:

"Under Frist's scenario, the GOP would seek a parliamentary ruling that declares filibusters are not permitted against judicial nominees. That ruling ultimately would go before the full Senate for a vote, with a simple majority required to prevail. Republicans hold 55 seats."

It's certainly an interesting tactic, and entirely legal. You're the better scholar in these matters than I: if such a ruling is granted in this (hypothetical) instance, is it actually binding henceforth?

My assumption was that it would be, hence my 'tude. I just remain unconvinced that it would be wise.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home