Saturday, March 07, 2009

Microwave popcorn

Something has always bothered me about the smell of microwave popcorn: it just smells "off," for some reason. Yeah, there's a distinctly popcorn smell there, but there's something else, too.

So this evening, when I came in from chasing that darned squirrel out of the ash tree into the live oak and up and over the shed roof into the neighbor's cedar tree, I noticed an odor - the odor of microwave popcorn.


And it was the eggs Beta was boiling in a pan of water with just a little vinegar to make 'em easier to peel. Same. Darned. Odor.

It's a good day when I sort out what bothered me about something that should have been so good.


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

3 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

LOL @ your lightbulb moment! I know what you mean about the off-odor; I've always thought microwave popcorn has a kind of puke odor. I never would have guessed vinegar & eggs. Wow.

8:34 PM  
Blogger EHT said...

Wow, that's some nose you have there. :)

I'm not a big fan of it myself. I would rather pop corn the old fashioned way in a big kettle with a little oil.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Amerloc said...

Actually, we don't do microwave popcorn here much. Alpha has his WhirlyPopper (although he wouldn't pay those prices for one). He has his little jug of coconut oil in the cupboard, and he has his popcorn sealed and stashed in the fridge. He's pretty much serious about popcorn, and has been ever since he ran projectors in that little small-town movie theater.

But we have family who just throw those bags in the microwave, so I recognize the smell.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home