Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rainy season in Texas

We've had an inch and a quarter (or so) of much-needed precipitation in the last forty-eight hours, and we have the hint that more may come in the next few days.

Like I said, it's welcome: the stock tanks are filling up, the lawns are threatening to green a bit, and the mosquitoes are promising to lay eggs as soon as it warms up again.

But all the rain and the chill has kept us close to the furnace, so when Alpha suggested we head to Lenny's Bar and Grill and SwapMeet for a libation or two and a hamburger, I had to allow as that wouldn't be an all-bad idea: I bolted for the door and jumped up several times (I didn't jump up and down - I have no idea where that expression comes from, as gravity pulls me down after I jump up).

Anyway.

We got to Lenny's, and Alpha settled onto a stool at the bar; I curled up around my bowl at the door, and Wendy brought us our beers. We settled in to watch the Big 12 basketball tournament, which this year is abounding in upsets, and therefor made for TV.

About twenty minutes later, the hinges squeaked, and a guy walked in with a monkey.

Now this is the same guy that came in a couple weeks ago with (what I assume was) the same monkey and ordered a drink. While he was at the bar chatting and drinking, the monkey entertained himself by running all over the place and getting into everything.

Wasn't too long, and Wendy said to the guy, "Didn't you see what that monkey just did? He got into the fruit tray and ate up half of the fruit!"

"I'm sorry," said the guy. "Yeah, he's crazy and he'll eat about anything. Just put it on my tab and I'll take care of it."

About that time, the counter bell rang and Wendy went and grabbed our burgers for us. She set them down, obviously in more of a hurry than usual, and said to the guy, "Did you see what your monkey did this time? He jumped up on the pool table and swallowed the cue ball!"


"I told you he's crazy and he'll eat anything", the guy said. "Please just put it on my tab."

Not long after that (we hadn't even finished our burgers), the guy finished his drink, settled the tab, and left.

So we're there this evening, sipping and trying to decide whether to order curly fries or onion rings with our burgers, and the same guy comes through the door with that monkey on his shoulder and orders a drink. The monkey again starts getting into everything.

Not two minutes later, Wendy says to the guy, "Did you see that? Your monkey just took a cherry out of the fruit tray, stuck it in his butt, pulled it out and ate it!"

"Yeah", says the guy, "he's still crazy and he'll eat anything, but now he measures first!"


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home